Sunday, April 17, 2011

“Who is My Neighbour?”

 

                                Christ with Children

Our Sunday School lesson today was on the subject of  “Who Is My Neighbour”.  This class today made me stop and think of how I am really portraying myself to my fellowman.  Am I a snobby person that makes my neighbour not want to get to know me or am I like the scripture found in Matthew 18:4 in where we are told that we are to be humble like a little child.

During our discussion a list of childlike qualities were given, such as honest, always forgiving, teachable, humble, has a lot of faith, loves everyone, does not judge etc.  We need to develop these childlike qualities in order to enter into the kingdom of heaven. The desires of my heart are to develop more childlike qualities, to be more forgiving as a child and to be more teachable.

Another set of verses that we discussed was Matthew 18:21-22, in where Peter asks Jesus “… how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?”  In verse 22 Jesus answers Peter “…I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but,Until seventy times seven.”

How often are we offended by others and we let harsh feelings build up cankering our souls?  This is one of my bad characteristic that I am working on to dissolve from my life.  When we hold grudges against our family members or fellowmen, it is like a cancer that grows and grows and will destroy our lives.  I want more love and harmony in my life than what has been there is the past.  I want peace within my heart toward those that have transgressed against me.  I want to invite the spirit of the Lord to dwell within my heart and soul and I can only do this if I am truly forgiving to the transgressor.

Forgiveness is a tool that needs to be developed by each of us.  How many little children squabble with their playmates, hurting their feelings and making them so angry, but in a few minutes that anger is gone, forgiveness was rendered and the offense was  forgotten.  They go about their “Father’s business” of  forgiving seventy times seven.  We need to be more like children and become more forgiving and loving.    It does not please our Father in Heaven when we" “…from our hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.” (Matthew 18:35)

1 comment:

Bobbi said...

Thank you for this one...

I have read it 3 times already. I have a REAL problem with this. It seems I can forgive people that hurt me, but I have the hardest time forgiving those ladies that hurt K. I'm going to need a miracle.