Thursday, November 10, 2011

Denim Aprons

DSCN4371

I LOVE these little aprons.  I got my idea off of the Pinterest website…they were for big aprons…I just wanted to make little aprons.

They are so easy and fun to make.  I took all of Dick’s old jeans and cut off the back pockets then each leg makes an apron.  Pretty simple…take bias tape and sew on for the straps , add any kind of embellishments around the bottom of the apron.  I am a ruffle girl and so all my aprons have ruffles.

I use my serger on all of the raw edges on everything I sew as I like the “finished look” on my sewing items.  For my ruffles I cut strips of fabric 3” wide (I use two 3”x44” strips for my aprons), using the rolled hem on the serger, I edge each side of the strip so it has a neat, clean finish. 

DSCN4376

Take the pocket and center it on your apron where you would like it to be then sew it on.

DSCN4375

There are two ways to make the ruffle (1) the traditional way of making gathering stitches (2 or 3 rows) then pulling the under side thread (bobbin thread) to the desired length or (2) using a gathering foot (I call it a pleater) and let the machine make consistant pleats on your strip of fabric (love this way and I only use the pleater since discovering it).  Sew the gathered ruffle on the edge of the apron and you are done.

I finish off my bias with “fray check” which stops the edges from raveling when it is washed.  I use this on all of my ribbons that have raw edges.

Here are the aprons I did today.

DSCN4385

This pocket had a smear of paint on it and just a little bit of ruffle covered it up and we were good to go….

DSCN4386DSCN4387

No comments: