Sunday, June 24, 2012

Things that are in my backyard….

We moved to the Arizona desert almost three weeks ago and have been visited by some different types of animals.  Our fence on the back is a half wall of cinderblock and the rest is a decorative metal fence that one can see the golf course through.  On one of the first mornings being here, I opened my blinds on the sliding glass door that leads to the back yard and this is what I saw looking at me through the fence.

IMG_2507

I could not believe my eyes at this enormous Jack Rabbit.  I had never seen one this huge before.  We stared at each other for a few seconds and then he ran off.

IMG_2510

We have lots of lizards that scurry along our back fence and across our patio

images

and tons of birds that like to gather in our back tree.  They visit us all day long and will sit in the tree to cool off on the hot summer days.  Every night they come to visit when we water the lawn.

101583097.Dp2Bv0jIhouse-sparrow-passer-domesticus-2294573919488.uxthEtYk

When we moved into our new home, the back lawn (can’t call it a lawn as it is only a 20’ x 30’ green patch) was dead and crispy crunchy.  We have brought the green patch back to life and we now have a lush green spot in our yard.  We are having visitors each day that come through the fence and think our grass is better to munch on than the golf course grass.  This is what is visiting us on a daily basis now.  Dirty rotten little creatures.

220px-Cynomys_ludovicianus_-Paignton_Zoo,_Devon,_England-8a

They are a smaller breed than I am used to seeing and they are protected. Yucky little critters.

Each day is a treat living in the desert and I wait for another new adventure each time I go into my back yard.

No comments: