Thursday, August 16, 2012

Christmas Candle Mat

I finished by Christmas candle mat this morning.   It will be exciting to have it as part of my decorations this year.  The pattern I used for the quilting is called orange peel.  My segments on the quilt block were the 2 inches that I needed to accomplish the effect that I was hoping for….and it worked.

DSCN4889

DSCN4891

I am intrigued with the back and can hardly wait to get the other two pieces done to complete the set.  There will be a table runner (you can see part of it on the pillow) and this throw. 

DSCN4875

The block for the candle mat is called Cheerio and the quilt and table runner are a combination of the Cheerio and the Northern Lights.  You can easily see the Cheerio blocks, but the Northern Lights blocks are hard to make out.  They are part of the burgundy lines.

This project started out to be a queen sized quilt….after 10 years of being in the sewing basket and not finished, I had to change my course of action.  Not all fabrics are in stock for that long and I had not purchased enough of the printed fabric.  I think this will be better for me in the long run.  This just gives me a very good excuse to make a quilt for me now.

No comments: