Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy 101st Birthday Grandpa Harvey

On February 15, 1908 Julius N. Harvey and his twin Julia were born. Julia only lived a few days but Julius lived until June 1992. He married Louise Johnson and together they had 10 children which in turn produced many, many grandchildren. I was the first grandchild to be born into this family and have thanked Heavenly Father daily for the heritage that I was blessed with. Many of my cousins are years younger than I am and several of them refer to me as "Aunt Kathy". It is hard for them to comprehend that even though my children are their ages I am still only a "cousin".

I remember my last real event with Grandpa which occurred on February 15, 1989 and his mind was still very sharp and clear. We were living in Page, AZ and Dick had to go to St. George for surgery. I stayed with Grandpa and Grandma while he was in the hospital. On Grandpa's birthday we all got ready and went to the temple to celebrate his day. It was a joyous event sitting in the temple with my grandparents on this glorious day. I could feel the love of my Father in Heaven so strong and also the love of my wonderful grandparents.
Grandpa was always a very hard worker. I remember the farming he did and the big equipment that he let us play on when it was not being used for harvesting. We loved to go to Horsehead to visit them and one favorite thing to do was to go into the trees next to their house where we made pretend houses under the shade. We would take sticks and draw out our houses and the rooms inside then play for hours under those trees. I could stay there forever with Grandpa and Grandma.
My love for popcorn was inherited from Grandpa. No matter when I went, there was always a bowl of popcorn waiting for me to gobble down. Mom said that when I was just learning to toddle and talk, she would take me to Grandpa's and my first words were "poncon" and they would pop the corn for me. For one Christmas I even got my own huge bag of popcorn, probably my most cherished gift for a girl of 10. Must have been pretty impressive as it is the one gift that I remember getting from my Harvey grandparents.
Tomorrow, Dear Grandpa, my thoughts will be of you. Thanks for your loving and caring ways, but most of all for the great examples that were set for your children and grandchildren to follow. I miss you very much and know that the day will come when I can be wrapped in your arms again. Thanks for showing me the way when my life is struggling. I love you with all my heart. Have a great 101st birthday.
Love from your granddaughter,
Kathy

No comments: