Wednesday, August 19, 2009

For the Love of NieNie!!

For almost a year I have been following the blog of Stephanie Nielson. She is a young mother of four adorable children from Mesa, AZ. Stephanie, along with her husband, Christian and their friend, Doug, who was the pilot, were in a horrible plane crash last August 16th. Doug died as a result of the crash and Stephanie and Christian were taken to Phoenix to the burn center where they were treated. Stephanie was burned over 80% of her body and was kept in a coma for several months. The time finally came when she was slowly allowed to gain consciousness and be reunited with her husband and children. Shortly after this reunion, the Clark family (Stephanie's parents) moved Stephanie and her family to Provo where they could continue to take care of them.

My heart totally went out to them and honestly it was hard for me not to read and follow Stephanie's blog. I developed a love for her and her family that was beyond my comprehension of loving someone that I did not know nor had ever met. I was captivated by her and needed to know several times a week of her progress and how the children were fairing without their mother to take care of them. I became obsessed by her blog and needing to know more and more about this amazing woman. I prayed that one day I would be able to meet her and talk with her face to face. She was so totally awesome in my eyes and I knew that she would be the closest person to Christ I would ever meet next to President Monson.

Over the 4th of July, I had an event at the American Freedom Festival in Provo. I pleaded with the Lord before we left that if I was to meet this extraordinary woman to please let her come to my booth during the celebration. I waited and waited for this prayer to be answered and nothing happened. I felt despair in my heart and an emptiness that I couldn't comprehend. I watched as the people milled about the celebration and wondered if the Lord had even heard my prayers.

I was frying a funnel cake and heard a soft, gentle male voice ask what a funnel cake was. I looked at the gentleman that was talking with Meghan and listened as she explained to him "a funnel cake is made of a sweet batter that is put into a funnel and dropped into hot oil to fry. After frying, it is then dusted with powdered sugar and topped with your choice of toppings". I was thinking to myself that she is so good with customers and her soft gentle voice is music to my ears. I watched the gentleman as he listened to her explanation and something about him caught my attention. On his face I noticed that he had burn scars that looked fairly recent. I remember thinking to myself of the pain he must have been in at the time of his burn and quickly thought about my mother who had been badly burned in a house fire.

This gentleman stepped back and my eyes caught a glimpse of a woman that was with him and standing a little behind him. I immediately asked Ta'Mera if that couple was Stephanie and Christian Nielson that were in the plane crash. She ran to the front of the booth and asked if they were them. The answer was yes and my heart almost leaped out of my chest. Yes, they were at my booth and I almost missed them. I ran to the front and told them my prayers had been answered and that the Lord had brought them to see me.

We talked for about 20 minutes in the quiet moments of time. I told them of my love for them and their family and also got to meet Claire, Jane, Ollie and Giggs. As I talked with Stephanie, we both shared things in our lives with each other that were extremely spiritual and I knew that I was as close to heaven as I could be at that moment.

This past weekend Stephanie posted pictures of herself on her blog, see here, and she is more beautiful than before the accident. She radiates pure love of Christ in everything that she does and says. She has taken an unfortunate accident and has found good in its outcome. The love that both Christian and Stephanie have for each other is beyond any I have ever witnessed among couples. I love the picture that she posted of them looking into each other's eyes. How they love each other and this love radiates to all that know them.

I am thankful that I have been privileged to have had the opportunity to meet Stephanie and Christian Nielson, that God does hear and answers prayers, and He opens the doors for answered prayers but you have to be aware of what is going on or you will miss His voice.

Thanks Stephanie for letting me be part of your life for 20 blessed minutes but in my heart for eternity.

1 comment:

chapman family said...

That is so awesome - I too am addicted to her blog and actually spent about an hour last night reading some of her entries before the accident. I thought the same thing about her beauty - she was beautiful before and very beautiful now as is her adorable husband.