Thursday, January 14, 2010

Having a sick day

Today has not been a very fun day for me as my body has hurt all over and just won't stop. It broke my heart (haha) to have to take a day off from the sewing machine.

So instead of sewing I was more the domestic person and started off the day with baking some delicious oatmeal raisin cookies. Just like the ones I made when my children were little, but goodness they just did not taste the same as they did back them. Guess it was the missing ingredient of "slobbers" when they wanted me to have a taste of their cookie.

After a long rest in my chair wrapped in my warm fuzzy blanket, it was time to begin fixing a meal. What would be more fitting than to have hot soup on a foggy cold January day.

So out of the freezer came the left over ham from New Years. I chopped some carrots, celery, onions and potatoes then added the broth from the ham that I had frozen when it was baked, added two bay leaves then let this simmer for a couple of hours. Just before the soup was ready I made a batch of baking powder biscuits (still can't make them like my Mom does and hers are to die for) and added a hint of rosemary to the dough (yummy) then into the oven to bake. As the biscuits were ready to come out of the oven, I added canned milk to the soup and we were ready to sit down to our meal. Homemade peach jam and strawberry jam were placed on the table to adorn the hot biscuits.

This was a good day even though it started out rather rough.

No comments: