Monday, January 18, 2010

NOT AGAIN!!!!

CAN YOU BELIEVE I ALMOST BURNED MY KITCHEN DOWN AGAIN!!!
You would think that after two episodes in the same night in September, one would learn the fine details of not having a kitchen fire!!! Don't you think?
Here is the story about my last caper in the kitchen.
Evan had a stiff neck and being the grandmotherly person that I am, a DRY washcloth was put into the microwave to be warmed, then to be wrapped in a larger towel so it could be put on her tight, hurting neck.

Kelly was cooking dinner and telling me a story about her Dad and the things that are happening to him (good). I put the washcloth into the microwave and set it for TWO minutes and continued to listen to her story. Suddenly I smelled burning paper and looked over at the stove to see if a paper towel might have caught on fire, but there was nothing. The smell was getting stronger and as I turned toward the microwave, this is what I saw!!!

The washcloth was smoking and smoldering. I let out a scream and once again Derek came running to see what was happening in the kitchen. I think at that point Kelly and I were laughing and did not know what to do.

My macho son grabbed the washcloth out of the microwave and ran for the back door. The cloth was beginning to glow with embers by the time he made it to the back door. Derek threw the cloth on the carport where it erupted into flames.We do have a bad situation with me and the kitchen.

Dick promptly reminded me that when his mother started to be like me they put her in an assisted living home where she could not have kitchen privileges anymore.

Evan has this theory about this incident and told us:

"We learned a lesson. You don't put wash clothes in
the microwave cause they catch on fire."

1 comment:

chapman family said...

Maybe we should have sent you a bunch of fire extinguishers for Christmas.