Thursday, September 11, 2008

32nd Wedding Anniversary

Today has been so wonderful and I have spent the day with some of my favorite people. Richard, Dick and I went to breakfast then to the Hill Air Force Airplane Museum. I love going their and paying my respects to our past military people. Today was very fitting to be there as this is the 7th anniversary of the attach on America. We did see many veterans there today. I love coming to be a part of this great display of military memorablila.

Richard had to go to meet with his recruiter as he is 5 days away from entering the Air Force. He is a third generation in my family to service in this great branch of the military. My brother, Kendall, my son, Derek and now my grandson, Richard have and are proudly serving their country.

We met Kelly, Canyon and Evan at Texas Roadhouse for dinner and had an enjoyable meal and good conversation. I so much enjoy being with my family and feeling the love that they have for us. I do have a great family and am so proud of each of them and the accomplishments they have had in their lives.

When Dick and I got married 32 years ago we never did think of our wedding date as 9/11. I remember the morning of my 25th anniversary so well. I was driving to work in the early morning just as the announcement came on the radio that the second plane had flown into the Twin Tower in New York. I was devistated and wanted to turn around and call my husband and children. I went on to work and everyone there was just as upset as I was. I remember calling Dick and telling him what was going on. I then called Brook and she was so upset, we both immediately talked about Derek and what effect this would have on him in the next days, weeks and months as he was stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, AK. She called him and he hurried and called me before he had to run out the door. He said he would not be able to talk with me for a few days as the base would be in lock down and he did not know when he would be home again. I called Danielle and she was so concerned about the affairs of this world and what was in store for her children. I remember feeling like my whole world was falling apart and I as a wife and mother could not pull it together again. This was the first time in my life I remember feeling helpless and did not know how to help those around me.

Each year now as our anniversary comes, my thoughts are of those that lost their lives on that fateful day. I am so proud to be an American and to be the mother and grandmother of two very special men serving in the United State Air Force. I love America!!!!!

No comments: