Thursday, September 18, 2008

Memories


Today before we left for Green River an interesting thing happened to me. I noticed that the garbage truck was stopped outside our house and went out to see if he needed me to move my car. The gentleman looked at me and said that he grew up in this house. I was surprised as I had always wondered about the families that had lived there in the past 100 years. His family name was Freeze and his mother sold the home to George (don't know his last name) when his family moved to Ogden in the late 70's to early 80's.

He told me about the house while his family lived there in the 60 and 70's. What is now my sewing room (small window upstairs) used to be his bedroom. The front door was the original door and above it there was a small window that opened to let the ventilation flow through the home. At that time the windows were the type that had weights on them to raise and lower the window. The ceilings were high like in the little entry that goes into my bedroom.

He told me about the old barn that used to be in the back yard that is now located on the lot on Forrest Street next to Val Kotter's business. I was told about the neighbors and who lived in the homes surrounding me.

Mr Freeze now lives in Tremonton, but recently started working for Brigham City and has wondered who lived in the home. He likes what we have done to the home and especially the well manicured yard.

Our home does have history and today one little piece of the puzzle was put into place.

2 comments:

Katie said...

How fun! It's neat to know a little more about the place where you live. The house we live in used to belong to the grandparents of a friend of mine, and it's cool to hear funny stories about what happened before.

Tawna said...

How interesting. Its fun to find out the history of things. We are the first owners of our house, someday I would love to come back here and share my story with the new family.